Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is associated with persistent anxiety and a range of physical symptoms. If you have this condition, you can use certain ways to manage it, which will help you improve your life. Below you will find some initial information on what you should learn to deal with the symptoms of the disorder.
Basic Information about GAD
In order to manage GAD effectively, you should learn as much about it as possible, because this is how you will know what you are fighting with. You may have some understanding of it, especially, if you have visited your doctor, but additional knowledge will help you deal this the disorder much better.
It is recommended to find out more about the following topics:
- Diagnostic criteria of GAD. This information will allow you to find out more about the symptoms of GAD as well as understand how this disorder is diagnosed;
- Differences between GAD and normal anxiety. There are lots of people who do not know if their anxiety is a normal condition or something that they should worry about. Usually, it is a usual thing for GAD when symptoms do not stop for several months, which significantly affects the quality of life;
- What physical symptoms are typical for GAD? This will help you find more information on physical or somatic symptoms.
What Coping Styles Exist
There is a range of coping styles people use to deal with anxiety and stress. Some people accept the problem and try to manage it while others may just try to avoid stressful situations. The worst thing may happen when people try to use medications without doctor’s recommendation.
You should read articles on the following topics:
- Coping styles for anxiety. This will help you find out about coping style used by other people;
- Problem-focused coping style for anxiety. This will allow you to find out more about healthy coping.
What Coping Techniques You Can Use
Each coping style includes a range of techniques that you can use in order to cope with anxiety symptoms. You can learn which of them exist and find those that are the most suitable for you. It is recommended to search for information on the following topics:
- Effectiveness of mindfulness in managing GAD. Mindfulness belongs to the most effective methods for treating anxiety;
- How to improve sleep if you have GAD. It is important to be able to have enough of sleep, especially, for people who have this mental disorder. You can try to find useful recommendation on how you can deal with insomnia;
- Tips on how you can cope with anxiety. There are many tips that you can use to improve the quality of your life, so it is recommended to learn them.
Professional Ways of Treatment
Getting professional help is a good idea, even though you can find plenty of useful information on the Internet. Your doctor may recommend certain relaxation techniques or other ways to treat anxiety.
You can learn more finding additional information on the following topics:
- What types of therapy for GAD exist? There is a variety of therapeutic approaches used for treating GAD, and it will be helpful to learn them;
- What ways of treatments are considered to be the best? You can check information on different studies and their results;
- Is cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) helpful for GAD? Learn more about one of the most popular approaches for treating GAD.